Saturday, February 23, 2013

Love's Forgiveness - 1 John 1 9



Few things in life probably bothered me more than accidentally hurting one of my children. On several different occasions over those years when the kids were little I was roughhousing with them when they did something I didn't expect like running into my leg or elbow, causing them a small "owie." When they are bigger I may say, "you need to be more careful." But with a small child I tend to feel really bad. Now it is time to start paying attention to the grand-kids on those limited occasions when we can play with them.
            To make matters harder on me when I was an offending parent, while I am holding and patting my little boy, he might be snuggling and patting me! The thought crossed my mind, "who's comforting who here?"
              I am thankful that my children are a forgiving bunch. Hopefully as they’ve grown up and looked back at the mistakes I have made as a parent, they will continue to be forgiving!
            I like what the Bible says about God's loving forgiveness. In 1 John 1:9 it says, that in confessing our sins to God "He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and cleanse us... " The role is reversed. I am the offending one and God is comforting me by saying, "I forgive you."
            As a child of God, my sin interferes with my relationship with Him much as my children or grandchildren and I might have something come between us. They remain my offspring throughout. The relationship is mended by confession and asking forgiveness. The same is true in our relationship with the Heavenly Father.
            You can experience His loving forgiveness right now  by admitting your sin to Him and accepting His forgiveness.
The Circuit ‘Riter, Michael Ullrich

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading more. I think we can all relate to this one.

    ReplyDelete