Friday, March 15, 2013

Love's Enemy - 1 John 2:15-17


    I have an insidious enemy that seems to lurk all around me.  Everywhere I go, there it is waiting for me.  Just when I think I have this enemy held at bay, someone comes along and brings it back into my presence again!  Seems like I will never win this battle, but then again, there are occasional rays of hope.
    What horrible enemy, you ask, is so stalking me and making my life miserable?  Why, it is that terror of diabetics, that nemeses of the weight watching body -- CHOCOLATE!
    Now, I know you think I love chocolate, so how could it be my enemy?  Truth is, I do "love" it, but it does bad things to me.  For instance, if I eat enough of it, my skin will break out and I may even experience a slight headache.  Yes, something I like can be my enemy.  That is what the great Apostle was writing about in 1 John2:15-17.  You may have a destructive love relationship with the world that needs overcome.
    Notice verse 15 says, "Do not love the world nor the things in the world.  If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." The "world" seeks to drag Christ's followers down with it.  Ever notice how someone who is doing something wrong or sinful can hardly stand to not have you involved too?
    Love's enemy is the love of something that isn't good for you. Verses 16 & 17 explain that the things of this world are not from the Father.
    What do you love?  Are you willing to put it aside if it is in opposition to Jesus Christ?  Love's enemy is loving the wrong things!

No comments:

Post a Comment